Thursday, February 17, 2011

If it’s your world, it’s your problem!

I conducted a little test today before I went to class…. I took 3 plastic soda bottles and placed them next to a garbage can which happens to be on the corner of a crowded walk way.
When the 8:30am crowd was walking to their class… people simply disregarded the bottles were even there… one cadet actually kicked a bottle against the sea wall on the other side of the street…
My friends…. Honestly…. What would you have done?
You see a bottle on the side of the road… and 95% of you wouldn’t even stop to pick it up and throw it away.


Now when you think about it…. That’s sad
Another scenario…
I was in DC a few months ago with my roommate…
We were walking around trying to figure out what to do…
We decided to go into the local CVS next to our hotel an get a few snacks for that night, and I couldn’t help but notice the man sitting next to the garbage can outside the door to CVS… he wasn’t holding a sign… he wasn’t asking for money… it almost looked like he had given up on life and simply threw himself away…
I walked into CVS and without saying anything to my roommate… I put in a BIG tuna sandwich, two yogurts, a granola bar, and one of those wicked long waters that you need two hands to carry…
My roommate laughed and said “man you must be hungry”
I simply smiled at him knowing very well that I was not only going to bless this man with a huge meal… I was going to teach my roommate a lesson about the value of life and how everyone should be treated equally
We walk outside and sure enough… the man was still leaning on the trash can…
I walk over to him, got on my knees so I could be at eye level to him… and presented him with his feast…
I could tell he was extremely grateful because his eyes widened and almost seemed relieved that he wouldn’t go hungry that day.
Friends… brothers… sisters
we see on the news everyday that we are fighting a war overseas, we see every day on the news poverty in Africa, South America, and other parts of the world. Still, for some reason we feel utterly guilty because we don’t have the time or the money to fly over and give these kids the hugs they so desperately need, the clothing to teenagers so they can walk about society not feeling ashamed, the homes to parents who just want to see their children succeed…
so we do nothing


we leave it up for others…. The “more fortunate” to take care of
the people who have the means to help…. We let them take care of it
WAKE UP!!!! FRIENDS THERE IS POVERTY IN OUR OWN BACK YARDS!!! You think the on terrorism is the only one we are fighting?!?!?! WHAT ABOUT THE KKK! THE BLOODS! KRIPS! Gangs are KILLING the young generations’ people! And we aren’t doing anything because we
DON’T
THINK
WE
CAN
Well I’ll tell you what…. And it might be cheesy …. But I believe in a god who says ALL things are possible! Not one who says that only if you have money you can help
Why don’t you take a straw and suck up your disgusting ego a little bit and volunteer at the local soup kitchen
Trust me… once a month feeding the less fortunate is a good start to ending world hunger
Did you know that if 10% .... TEN PERCENT… of professing Christians in this world adopted ONE! Child…. There wouldn’t be any orphanages…


Now I bet your sitting down right now on your Mac Laptop in your heated home on a nice chair, sipping a cup of coffee…. Reading this blog…. Thinking to yourself “I do my fair share… I help out plenty”
Why stop there? Don’t settle for “comfortable” strive every day to get better
Pick up the garbage you see on the side of the road…. ITS NOT GOING TO KILL YOU
Walk into a CVS and pick up an extra sandwich… maybe a $2 bus pass…
God forbid you don’t get your fourth Starbucks that day…
Listen friends

We all live in this world together
If you’re not going to contribute to our cause ….
If you’re not going to help fight the good fight…

Why are you here?








*Special thanks to Sean Comer for giving me this blog idea.

3 comments:

Bean said...

amen brotha

Anonymous said...

the homeless guy prob sold the sandwich for a 40

Devon Marcinko said...

who would buy a sandwich from a homeless guy???